Bruce Clarke and Byron Shire Action Group offer support for Shire sports clubs and volunteer groups
Sports clubs, volunteer groups and community based organisations will receive additional council support as part of a plan announced by Bruce Clarke at the launch of his Mayoral campaign in Byron.
November 19 2021
Mr Clarke said the plan is in recognition of the work and the services these groups do across the Shire.
“We know the value that community organisations, clubs and associations provide to the Byron Shire community.
“It is my very strong view that the Council could provide a much greater level of support and assistance,” he said.
The Byron Shire Action Group’s Club support plan includes:
- Efficient processing of minor development application for additions or alterations
- Parking concessions for organisation such as the Surf Lifesaving Association so that volunteers aren’t fined while on duty
- A dedicated Council staff member to manage and follow through issues local clubs and community groups might have with Council
- Council assistance to identify and access areas of State and Federal support for organisations
- Council advice and guidance on the application process for State or Federal funding
- Council should spend more time planning how to assist local clubs, organisations and groups impacted by new major or annual events.
Mr Clarke said that the extent to which the Shire can provide financial assistance to local clubs, organisations and associations in the region is limited.
“While providing direct funding is always preferred I believe there are many other ways the Council can assist these organisation.
“This package is about making it easier for volunteer groups to negotiate Council – we should be making it easier, not harder.
“For far too long our community service, sporting clubs and cultural groups have been taken for granted by the Council. We plan to fix this,” Mr Clarke said.
Media Contact: Michael Salmon 0417 495 018